Do you need a dehumidifier for your entire house? This article will give you the list of the top 10 best whole house dehumidifiers in 2020.
Whole-house dehumidifiers are powerful devices that can pull moisture from the entire home’s indoor air. Unlike the small, portable dehumidifiers that just clean the air from a single room at a time, whole home dehumidifiers can purify the air from every nook and corner of the house. It fits into the central air system for managing the whole home’s humidity levels. Large dehumidifiers are an excellent option to save money on air conditioning costs. These units create a comfortable environment around the house when temperatures are high outside. So, you don’t need to turn on air conditioning as frequently as you normally would.
Large capacity dehumidifiers are convenient to install. You only need to pipe the unit to a drain. You don’t even need to empty the tray again and again. Moreover, these units gradually reduce operating costs. Priced at $1,000 or above, these are expensive units, and therefore, it is essential to research well before purchasing a large dehumidifier. For your ease, we have reviewed the best whole house dehumidifiers. Here’s all you need to know about the best products in the market.
Table of Contents
Where You Need a Whole House Dehumidifiers and Why?
Whether you own an air conditioning system or not, whole house dehumidifiers are beneficial regardless. These are functional units for the household. That’s because every home has a laundry room, basement, and kitchen where there is an excessive amount of moisture always. These areas usually upset the whole home’s moisture level. Higher humidity levels cause several issues, such as the growth of mold or mildew, moisture stains, and water spots. The imbalanced humidity level in the house can also cause skin and respiratory system-related ailments. Therefore, it is a feasible idea to invest in the best whole house dehumidifiers.
How can a Large Whole House/Crawl Space Dehumidifier Help You?
Dehumidifier for crawl space or other excessively humid areas such as basements and bathrooms are an ideal option for your household. These dehumidify the entire house and have high levels of drainage. This feature makes whole home dehumidifiers great option to dehumidify difficult areas such as crawl spaces where there is a higher probability of mold and mildew to grow.
If you are a patient of allergy, the extra moisture in the indoor air will adversely affect your health. Higher humidity can further aggravate allergies. If you have the best whole house dehumidifiers already installed, your health will get better each day.
Moreover, research suggests that the air we breathe should have a specific amount of moisture. Anything higher than that can affect air quality. To have an ideal breathing environment in the entire home, you should buy whole home dehumidifiers. It will help you stay healthy and prevent the accumulation of unwanted organic materials like mold from growing.
Top 10 Best Whole House Dehumidifiers
Whole house dehumidifiers feature a powerful dehumidification system that can sustain a balanced moisture level in your entire house. Whether it is a dehumidifier for crawl space or large capacity dehumidifiers, it can keep your home’s indoor air healthy and moisture-free.
There are different kinds of whole home dehumidifiers available in the market nowadays. Two of them are comparatively more prominent. One is the model directly connected to your home’s HVAC system and dehumidifies the air via its built-in air ducts. The other kind is a portable whole house dehumidifier that can independently dehumidify the entire area. There is a slight difference between the cost and performance of both units.
Our team tested both types of dehumidifiers and checked out all popular units’ user reviews to create the list of best whole house dehumidifiers. These reviews will help you find out the best product for your home.
1. Aprilaire – 800Z 800 Whole Home Dehumidifier
This product has been in the Aprilaire family for a long time. It is one of the best whole house dehumidifiers that will eradicate the issues you face in your home because of dry air. Dry air can cause the onset of flu and allergies.
Aprilaire – 800Z 800 Whole Home Dehumidifier is the perfect installation for your home in situations like these. It protects from the harsh weather that your family requires. This humidifier is a large capacity humidifier that will provide full coverage of up to 6,200 square feet. You have the option to choose from different six different levels that eject different gallons of moisture into the air according to your voltage and installation preferences.
A huge advantage of having this unit installed in your home is that you no longer have the hassle of using only purified water. Airplaire 800 insists on using water with impurities to enhance its performance because it works on the new electrode technology.
Furthermore, you don’t even have to worry about setting it up manually every time. The automatic sensors will adjust humidity levels on their own according to the indoors and outdoors temperature. The only issue with this product is that it will burn a hole in your pocket.
- New electrode technology guarantees efficiency.
- No required hassle of purified water.
- It can humidify up to 6,200 square feet.
- Automatic control makes your life easier.
- It is high on cost.
2. Aprilaire 1850F 95 Pint Whole Home Dehumidifier
The Aprilaire 1850 95 Pint whole house dehumidifier is one of a kind. It has a wide range of features that are missing in other dehumidifiers. This unit has a high-efficiency rate when it comes to removing moisture. It can remove moisture up to 95 pints in one whole day. What’s better is that it effortlessly dehumidifies a house as big as 5,200 square feet.
Aprilaire 1850 has to be one of the top whole-home dehumidifiers. It functions between 50 degrees Fahrenheit to 104 degrees Fahrenheit. This unit works almost soundlessly at 54 dB compared to the other dehumidifiers in the market.
Moreover, this product brings in a low electricity bill because of low power consumption. It is a remarkable dehumidifier for crawl spaces and basements, which are usually prone to dampness. It removes moisture from such areas with a hundred percent efficiency.
To save you from the bother of getting up close and turn on the device, the unit comes with an automatic on/off feature. In winters, it also defrosts automatically with the defrost button, which cuts off the compressor until the coil is clear of frost. It has an accessible interface, making it easy for everyone to use. Lastly, it has a filter that helps eliminate dust particles and allergens, making your home safe and protected.
- Efficient and efficacious eradication of moisture.
- Easy installation
- Low electricity consumption
- No loud compressor sound.
- Huge when it comes to size
3. Tosot 70 Pints Dehumidifier with Internal Pump
Tosot 70 Pints Dehumidifier with Internal Pump is the most reliable large-capacity dehumidifier if you’ve got a big home with excessive moisture. Unlike other units, this product has a good automatic pump that helps you remove water from the device. This feature single-handedly eliminates the trouble of removing the moisture manually; in addition to that, the pump aids in moving the water up if required until fifteen feet.
Tosot’s dehumidifier is perfect for your home if you want one for your basement. This product creates little to no noise while it’s turned on. The maximum noise it makes goes up to 52dB. This feature allows you to have peaceful conversations, work time, or sleep. The noise is so low that previous users have commended its noiseless performance.
The interface is user-friendly, helping you with the controls and functions. There are three available fan speeds which you can pick from, allowing you to have the fan speed of your choice in the hot humidity filled summer months. However, the product has an issue of warmth emission from the unit. Other than that, it is one of the best whole house dehumidifiers,
- It comes with an internal pump plus a hose to aid in moisture removal.
- Efficient removal of moisture from large rooms such as basements.
- The LED interface is user friendly
- It is a large capacity dehumidifier. Can cover areas as large as 4,500 square feet
- Its has an airflow range of 206 CFM
- Has a soundless compressor. Maximum 52 dB
- Has a one year warranty
- 30 days money-back guarantee
- It has a high heat emission, not advised to use in compact rooms.
4. Honeywell HE360A1075 HE360A Whole House dehumidifier
If you want to avoid the constant hassle of removing the excess drainage water from the unit, then the Honeywell HE360A1075 HE360A would be the right choice for a whole-house dehumidifier. It is a flow-through model that will rid you of manually draining out the water in addition to keeping it clean. Hence you don’t have to worry about maintenance all the time. This unit comes with a PerflectFLO distribution tray that maximizes the efficiency level.
Furthermore, the tray causes minimal water usage. Such features make this whole-house dehumidifier very financially and economically feasible. It is a large capacity dehumidifier with an efficiency range of up to 4,200 square feet. When it comes to installation, it is smooth plus manageable. The unit can be easily mounted on a returning air duct or a warm air supply. The only problem in the installation is that the installation kit is sold independently of the unit. You need to buy it separately. However, the unit comes with many essential and useful items. There is a one-year warranty provided, that is a bonus for the protection of the product.
- Easy maintenance because of flow-through design
- Installation is quick and easy
- Functions to up to 4,200 square feet
- Comes with important components
- The installation kit does not come with the product. Needs to be bought separately
5. AlorAir Basement/Crawl space Dehumidifiers
AlorAir Basement/Crawl space Dehumidifier, as the name suggests, is an excellent option for you if you’re looking to install a dehumidifier in your basement or crawl spaces. It efficiently drains out 55 pints of water a day from over 1,300 square feet. It can be used for basements, storage rooms, spacious rooms as well as crawl spaces. It has an auto defrosting function, which is handy in cold weather. It facilitates your humidifier to work in harsh winters by warming up the coil. It prevents the compressor from turning on and off repeatedly, which lowers energy consumption.
This dehumidifier comes with an inbuilt anti-corrosion system that protects the unit from corrosion in addition to Freon leakage. This increases the life and durability of the coil inside. It is the best dehumidifier for crawl spaces and for commercial uses. All the features and functions provided show that it is made for the modern aged homes. Some features include the auto-defrost system, a remote control, and the listing in energy star. The unit has a warranty of 5 years, which is longer than any other dehumidifier. The most appealing feature is the Energy Star certification of COP 2.4 L/kWh.
- Can cover up to 2,600 square feet
- Drains 90 pints in a day
- Has a great 5-year warranty.
- Energy efficiency guaranteed with an Auto shut-off and defrost function.
- Works great for crawl spaces, large spacious rooms such as basements, and storage rooms
- Functions even in low temperatures.
- The dehumidifier itself is very expensive.
6. Aprilaire 1820 – Best Ducted Whole House Dehumidifier
Aprilaire 1820 is a large dehumidifier specially made to be used in basements, crawl spaces, and vents. It is a powerful dehumidifier that efficiently stabilizes the humidity content in places that have high humidity levels. It is so good at its job that you will be tension-free about protecting your home from the humid air. It has a range of 2,800 square feet and can eradicate 70 pints of water daily. Hence, the efficiency of the Aprilaire 1820 is the last of your worries.
It is straightforward to use the device, just set it up once, and you’re good to go. The draining part is hassle-free; either you place it over a drain or attach it with a hose. No need for maintenance every single month as the filter needs to be cleaned annually. It comes with a whopping 5-year warranty, but it probably won’t come to use. It is a local product made in the United States of America, and the local industry always needs to be promoted. Previous users of this dehumidifier have nothing but good reviews regarding it. They believe it is one of the best whole house dehumidifiers.
- Low on maintenance along with easy drain system
- Comes with a whopping 5-year warranty
- Made with quality in the USA
- Anti-corrosion system fights corrosion in coils
- Dehumidifies 70 pints in a day
- Covers an area of 2,800 square feet
- It is only made for small capacities. Does not work in large homes
7. hOmeLabs 4000 Sq Ft Dehumidifier
This humidifier is a top rating on Amazon. It is budget-friendly along with efficient. The hOmelabs 4000 square feet has to be our personal best dehumidifier that is cheap. It can cover areas as large as 4000 square feet. If you have a big house, this product would be a wise investment as it is a large-capacity dehumidifier. It drains 70 pints of moisture every day, meaning that you will be moisture free even in highly humid weather.
This whole house dehumidifier unit is simple to use; you can check out reviews of previous users who claim it to be the solution to their problems. You just need to set it on the setting according to your choice, and you don’t need to do it again. Once the tank fills up with water, it will close off automatically with its auto shut-off feature. You can attach a hose for easy drainage of water, ridding you of doing it manually. The drain does not come included in the package, but it is effortless to get one and attach it. It is a portable unit; hence it is not recommended to keep it in basements but keep them in your rooms. The white color camouflages in front of the walls, so the room’s aesthetics are not disturbed. The design is sleek, making it easier to hide behind the furniture.
- Heavy-duty to function in large homes
- It can be easily moved from one place to another.
- Has a sleek and modern design.
- Dehumidifies at a rate of 70 pints in a day.
- Extensive coverage of 4000 square feet
- Has a 2-year warranty
- It comes with a hose outlet for drainage, handles and wheels for transport, and a filter that can be cleaned.
- The plastic base on the hose outlet is prone to breakage
8. Dri-Eaz F413 Revolution LGR
The Dri-Eaz F413 Revolution LGR is the best whole house dehumidifier if you want the benefits of a unit that is as powerful as a commercial dehumidifier. With a humongous coverage area of up to 7000 square/feet that is sufficient to dehumidify a large house.
For homes where basement leaks or burst pipes are an issue, the Dri-Eaz F413 Revolution is an ideal dehumidifier as it can quickly absorb any residual moisture through its powerful fan. It processes 17 liters of water in a single day. However, despite its magnificent capacity, this unit is relatively compact. With under two feet length, it easily fits in too narrow spaces such as the staircase.
To store this unit, you only need to stack it wherever you want to keep it. It is also very easy to transport as it comes with two handles on the top to carry it. This model has easy-to-understand settings. You can conveniently set the F413 Revolution on a specific humidity level and shut it off when the unit reaches your desired setting. Hence, you don’t need to worry about air quality consistently.
- Ideal unit for regular maintenance of air quality.
- Perfect for homes where leaks are common.
- Easy to carry from one place to another.
- Compact and stackable for easy storage.
- It comes with a built-in automatic pump out.
- The model features outlet temperature, real-time inlet, and relative humidity display.
- Can dehumidify up to 80 pints of moisture per day.
- Airflow capacity is 180 CFM.
- Comes with lifetime warranty on housing and 6-year limited warranty on refrigeration system.
- Not very useful for smaller homes.
It is an expensive unit.
9. Drieaz F515 Crawl Space Dehumidifier
If you are searching for a high-power dehumidifier that’s affordable as well, then the Dri-Eaz F515 is the best dehumidifier for crawl space. Like the F413 Revolution, it also covers 7000 square/feet, but price-wise, it is much cheaper. Dri-Eaz F515 is an ideal unit for regular maintenance and addressing any unexpected leaks.
For your basement’s crawlspace, this is the best whole house dehumidifier to invest in as it discreetly removes extra moisture from the air. On average, it absorbs up to 75 pints of moisture in a day. It also has an optional suspension kit that can be purchased separately to improve its moisture absorbing capacity. You can place the unit in the ceiling to free up surface space. You can also set your desired humidity levels from the easy-to-use digital control panel on the unit and confidently roam around in the house.
Also, you can manually remove the water tank if it gets filled. This model comes with the option of connecting an external hose for continuous draining. However, a downside is that the external hose isn’t included in the package.
The Dri-Eaz F515 works quietly, and many times you may even feel that the unit isn’t even working. We found it to be a durable product and ideal large capacity dehumidifier for those on a budget.
- Works quietly throughout the day and ensures sound and comfortable sleep.
- Excellent for large areas.
- To free up the precious surface space, you can suspend this unit onto a ceiling.
- Dehumidifies 75 pints of moisture per day.
- Ideal for larger homes as it covers up to 7000 sq.ft of area.
- Comes with a 6-year limited warranty on the refrigeration system and lifetime warranty on housing.
- Features one mesh filter, carry handles, and an easy to set up a digital control panel.
- Some customers complain about receiving faulty products, but the company replaced it promptly.
10. Vremi 50 Pint 4,500 Sq. Ft. Dehumidifier Energy Star Rated for Large Spaces and Basements
This model is referred to as Moisture Maniac. It can effectively remove up to 50 pints of moisture (70 pints according to 2012 DOE Rating Standard) in a day. This is among the best whole house dehumidifiers for medium to large homes and ideal for up to 4500 sq/feet areas.
Vermi 50-pint whole house dehumidifier is an energy-efficient unit that features an Energy Star rating. It is a sleek and clean unit that comes with built-in wheels and handles. The fan functions so quietly that you would be amazed at its performance.
The unit comes with easy to understand and set up functions. You can adjust your preferred moisture setting and set it up for a 24-hour cycle. This product will work efficiently until the tank is full, after which it will automatically shut off. It also features a drain hose outlet to ensure the continuous draining of water. However, the hose isn’t included in the package.
The Vermi dehumidifier has a Turbo Mode to increase fan speed and get maximum moisture removal. It effectively reduces the humidity level to keep the air healthy and dry and maintain a comfortable environment.
- It features a 1.8gallon water tank.
- Removes up to 50 pints of moisture in a day.
- Ideal for up to 4500 sq/feet of area and small to medium-sized home.
- It can be connected to a drain through a hose for continuous draining.
- It works instantaneously, and the handy Turbo mode efficiently dispels moisture.
- Its filter can be changed quickly as the process isn’t too complicated.
- This unit is one of the most low-maintenance large capacity dehumidifiers in the market.
- Easy to transport with casters.
- When set at a higher speed, the unit emits a loud sound.
With this list of best whole house dehumidifiers, you can easily select the ideal unit to purify and clean your entire home’s indoor air. Some units are best suited for crawl spaces and models placed in the ceiling to free up space. We spent around 60 hours to test all the available products and finalized the list of most useful whole-house dehumidifiers after manually testing each unit. Whole home dehumidifiers are perfect for larger homes or bigger areas. This list features units that can cover from 3000 to 7000 sq.ft areas, so you can select the model that meets your needs.
Featured Image: © bmak/Adobe Stock